Monday, May 29, 2006

Bad tattoos

I had my ear pierced when I was 25. It wasn't common for straight men to get their ear pierced back then, and I felt moderately rad. The earrings definitely attracted attention, and not just when I wore the big smiling Mickey Mouse earring. My friend Teresa's reaction was the best: she screamed in delight within seconds of seeing me with my new adornment. My older Russian friend Alla also saw it quickly, but she declined to say anything about until I explicitly asked her. Then she told me, with a face faintly wincing in pain, that she had noticed it and she did not like it. Men uniformly did not notice and did not care. My mother's reaction was not positive. When I told her that I had gotten an earring, she lay awake all night, calling me at 8am the next morning to find out if I was gay. My amusement did not, in turn, amuse her. But hey, if moving to New York to get away from your parents doesn't involve some element of ├ępater le bourgeois, then you're really not getting the full E-ticket ride. So, radness achieved.

Still, some time passed, I decided it looked like I was trying to be hip, and I just took the earring out forever. Completely disradificated, I was; and of course, no one cared. True, once a poor closet case unfortunately assumed that my barely-visible earring hole meant that I was also a closet case. Unfortunately, his gaydar was way off, and we so started on a brief, abortive friendship with him asking me frequently to go on "walks" and me eventually saying a variation on the ultimate lame statement, "Look, I don't want to date you, but I don't see any reason why we can't be friends." Turns out that's a really bad thing to say to certain closet cases.

Still, it would take a remarkably close observation of my face to notice that I have a tiny little dimple in one earlobe. Maybe someday the earlobe will be wrinkled or hairy enough that it will be completely invisible. Ew.


Easy reversibility is why earrings are cool. Hell, get two or three piercings if you feel like it. Tattoos, on the other hand, are not so easy to remove. Don't get a tattoo. If you have one, don't get another one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Travis
Terry mentioned your blog, so of course, I had to check it out. (I'm thinking, "How cool" but I don't think she knew what a blog was.)

I have to agree with you re: the tatoos. My high school boyfriend showed up with a hangover one day worried that I would be angry when he confessed what he did while in a drunken stupor the night before: tatooed a heart with my name on his arm! My response: "That tatoo will be around a lot longer than me."

Entertaining reading (no surprise considering it is *your* blog.).

Josie

Wednesday, 05 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Blog Flux Directory